- No matter how much you liked the property description as a potential tenant you should always view your future home before making a decision. View the property together if you are moving in with a partner or sharing in the daylight. View properties that you are considering as quickly as possible one after the other. This will give you a better chance of being able to compare each property you view.
- At Xact we will accompany any prospective tenant/s on viewings – it’s a security precaution that protects you as much as anyone and it gives you an opportunity to ask questions about the property.
- Take a cheque book and debit card with you and a means of photo-ID. This will allow you to proceed quickly if you view something you like. Take a tape measure to check if your furniture will fit and a pen and paper to make notes.
- If you are meeting at the property, plan your route in advance and allow enough time to get there. Agency staff are on tight schedules and cannot afford to wait more than a few minutes. Make sure you have the agent’s office number with you and call if you are running late. It will take at least 10 minutes to look around your selected property so if you are viewing several properties with different agents then plan your time accordingly.
- Ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property. In England & Wales every rental property must have an EPC certificate before it is let.